How to start improving your life right now.
Posted on February 15 2019
If you want to know a bit more about myself check out 'Why I created Göya' for a little insight. Anyway, let's crack on.
For a long while, I knew there were areas of my life that needed dramatic improvement but I didn’t know ‘how, why or when' to change. It all clicked when I realised it was down to me. no one was ever going to give me the answer. I had to find out what the unknown had to offer. I had to address the areas of my life that needed changing. I had to take action for my own life and future. So I did this:
So, here's a really simple way to get started.
1. Grab a pen and paper. Now.
Getting it all down in front of you is vital. Creating a rough, tangible & visual representation of this moment will reduce the likelihood of any interference or distraction. If you want it bad enough, however, you shouldn’t get distracted over the next 5 minutes.
If it's messy that’s fine, if it's neat that’s fine. Just let your mind churn out thoughts while you go through this. Refine later.
I made an 'Action Plan' for you to use! Print away.
If you’re serious like I was and think 'f#ck it … time to change!" Then do what I did and go all in. Commit hard, commit fast and commit properly. I had to pick up one of these journals to get my initial taste of efficient organisational structure. I now create my own. I am working on one for the site. Excited.
2. Look at yourself. Examine your motives and character.
You must be harsh with yourself now but also take pride and have an ego for a minutre. It will help you with this part. You need to really think about this.
- Write down all your weaknesses, everything you do badly and all of which you wish or know you should eradicate from your life.
- Now get down everything good about yourself. All the strong and positive aspects of your life. What do people say you’re good at? Where did you excel when you were younger? Or when you were at school? What have you enjoyed most in your life? Make your strengths clear. Highlight them. Big yourself up. You need to know what your strengths are and be confident in yourself.
- Great, so now you must look at everything in your means that you can utilise. What opportunities do you have in front of you? What can you take advantage of in your life? Who do you know? Who could you approach for help or guidance? Ask yourself these and start to appreciate what you can do compared to many unfortunate people in the world.
- Lastly, what threats are there in your life? What could potentially slow down or stop this new journey of yours? Who in your life could badly impact this great new start? What must you consider when starting these new goals?
Once you have down this and can see all the areas of your life, good and bad, you can make now decide some very important things.
- Get rid of everything which is negatively impacting you and threatening your chances of becoming the amazing person you can be.
- ‘Triple down’ on what you’re great at while keeping in mind everything you have at your disposal to use.
3. Start your ‘Action Plan’
To make this more efficient I created & attached an Action Plan that you can print and use to structure your days or weeks. If you like having a layout, it will help you.
It does not matter if you use the ‘Action Plan’ provided or a piece of scrap paper with ‘get to the gym for 6 pm’ written on it. Once you have written something down become tunnel f#cking vision and get it done. Small or big, once you smash your first objective for the day you will feel accomplished and experience gratification, an amazing feeling.
'There is no time like the present' gets tossed around a lot these days. For good reason though. Our lives only start to change when we 'get off our asses' and get moving, working towards anything that we know we should be. You have an action plan now, Put it to work.
4. Do one thing today.
No matter what information you have just self-concluded, no matter how you feel right now, there is a 100% guarantee that you can do something today, that will move you one small step closer to a 'better you'. Sh#t changes when you change. It's on you.
This ‘one thing’ you do today, could start a snowball effect that you won’t look back from. It could be the start of a new life. Only you can find out. Only you can change your life. The reason you aren't where you want to be in life is down to you. Remember that.
Get off your ass! I know you can do something challenging today at some point. Go to sleep tonight happier than ever. Just try it.
5. Make it a habit and repeat.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going” – Jim Rohn
A better life doesn’t happen overnight. This is often why people give up and fall back into the old swing of things. However, it can start overnight.
Habitual behaviour can be incredible. Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could change your life automatically (without thinking, just doing) especially as half of our day is spent using automatic behaviour? You heard that right. So if you can create habits that are constantly developing and improving your life, why wouldn't you? Habits can be hard to start, but if great habits were easy, everybody would have them and the world would be seldom miserable. So work hard to set these habitual catalysts in place, then reap the rewards they sow throughout your life.
Knowing this, is it not exciting to think that through a bit of effort now .. you can create an automatic ‘personal development’ system. It takes around 30 days to create a habit. Can you commit to that? I know you can.
I was rubbish at sticking to habits. So here is something I found and used rigorously to cement my action plan to my brain.
5 tips for making a new habit stick.
- Start small
- Increase gradually.
- Break things down.
- If you mess up, get right back on path A.S.A.P.
- Be patient, stick to a schedule that you can maintain.
Full article here for more information / elaboration on the mentioned habit setting tactics.
So, If you wrote anything down after reading step 3. …. Congrats, you’ve started. You’re one step closer to habitual self-development. Automatic awesomeness coming your way. If you didn't but you got this far, I know you want to change so just do it.
The reason I want you to get something down on a piece of paper and completed is that without ‘doing’ there is no change or development. Just ‘thinking’ is not enough. With the Action Plan you printed out or the piece of scrap paper you used … at least when you leave here, you will have something tangible that will remind you of what you should be doing. Don't let your ambitions die over days, weeks and months of putting off the inevitable. If you are ware you need/ want change, then don't wait. Just get started. I waited and it nearly cost me my life at 21 years old. Not good.
Have a great day, smash your goals and become the best person you can be. Follow the Instagram @goya_co and shoot me a message. Let's develop daily together.